Project Description: 'Bull House', 92 High Street, Lewes, E. Sussex BN7 1XH
Contract Sum: £9,357.19 + vat
Contract Sum / Period: Minor Works Contract 2016 / approx 6 weeks
Bull House dates from the Medieval period and was originally a tavern, but is perhaps best known as the residence for Tom Paine from 1768 - 1774, famous for his Rights of Man and later his contribution to the Declaration of Independence in America. In 1911 it was refurbished by Walter Godfrey a prominent architect and financed by John Every, the prosperous owner of the Phoenix Ironworks in Lewes. It is now the headquarters for Sussex Archaelogical or better known locally, as Sussex Past.
In August 2016 a lorry mounted the pavement and collided with the oriel window on the first floor causing extensive damage to one side of the bay window.
Despite the building being Grade II* Listed, it was not necessary to obtain listed Building Consent if the work was carried out on a like-for-like basis.
Survey drawings were then prepared and tenders received, the contract being carried out by Cheesmurs of Lewes and the work financed by NFU Insurance.
The Contract period was short, being some 6 weeks in duration, and a local joinery works was employed to make up the new sliding sash windows.
Agricultural glass was used for it's wavy qualities and any existing perspex panels were replaced with wavy glass at the same time.
All woodwork was painted to match the original paint specification, and the front facade was repainted at the same time.